Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Book Review: The Kimono Inspiration

The Kimono Inspiration-Art & Art to Wear in America
By The Textile Museum, Washington DC
(Original published as a catalog for the exhibition in Washington DC)
ISBN: 0-87654-598-3
1996



-The world is getting smaller...-(forward)
This book has a lot of information about the history of the introduction of the kimono to the western culture.

-...I remember that in the postwar years, Japan exported to the US a large volume of silk materials as well as sold them as souvenirs to foreign visitors most of them Americans. To attract the American customers in those days we thought that we had to make colourful materials with large patterns, which seemed too gaudy for most Japanese to wear. In retrospect, that may have been our misunderstanding. Now I know that Americans also love traditional Japanese materials with simple patterns & colours...-Masako "Mimi" Kuriyama-

This book also has some interesting stuff about Frank Lloyd Wright. He collected kimono & kesa.

There are some very interesting photos of created kimono some pieced together, some loom knitted. Also, some very modern looking/non traditional designs.
Interesting reference read.

Link to the Textile Museum in Washington, DC
Link to Frank Lloyd Wright's museum collection.
Amazon Link to book.

Check it out at your local library.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessi said...

Thea, I am just fascinated with this. Though I am just beginning to learn more about Asian textiles, I have had a life-long love of vintage fabric and design. I, too, am a mistiso (Filipino-Puerto Rican) and my mom is an immigrant from Manila. I'm linking your blog to mine. Would you also happen to know where I can purchase vintage or vintage-inspired Filipino textiles?

5:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hello again! ^_^
you're a fellow mestisa too! my mom is from lucban slightly south of manila in the village areas. thank you for the link. ahhh...you are looking for vintage textiles....(answering my question from my main blog). i have many old barong taglog and some dresses as well with filipino embroidery. i've actually been lucky to find them in second hand/thrift stores here. (we have a pretty good sized asian population here in seattle). but like i said on the other blog that i get most of my stuff from overseas. but i definitely link any online stores if i find any.
thank you so much for your comment! i hope you keep reading, i have tons of books to link here.
thea~

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home